Singapore Chilli Crab RevelrySeptember 1, 2012
Tonight we had Singapore chilli crab for dinner, and it was incredible. Here’s what went down in the kitchen.
A dozen blue swimmer crabs, cleaned and halved.
The recipe, you ask? It’s lengthier than you think – we tripled these quantities for our meal:
- 4 uncooked blue swimmer crabs
- 3 long fresh red chillies, 1 without seeds, finely chopped
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbs grated galangal
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbs shaoxing wine or sherry
- 2 tbs kecap manis
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs grated palm sugar
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked
The biggest wok we could find did the job perfectly!
Once the sauce is tossed through the crabs, it results in a sticky, spicy/sweet marinade that gets all over your fingers and chin. There is only one proper way to go at chilli crab and that is with two hands and no semblance of self-consciousness! Not at all a graceful dinner, but bloody tasty!
What followed can only be described as a crab orgy. And with that imagine in your mind, I’ll leave you to it!
More from my site
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY